Lighter days, warmer temperatures and less darkness
Springtime in Vancouver offers lighter days, warmer temperatures and less darkness. The streets become alive with cherry and magnolia blossoms. This display often catches a passerby and causes a brief moment to indulge. Over the month of April, the season is celebrated via the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival
Soon after, the rain begins to transform to a shower of falling blossoms as the season shifts into summer. This transition means that attractions in Vancouver extend their hours:
Many of Vancouver’s signature events take place. Key events to mark on your calendar include:
· Bard on the Beach: the annual Shakespeare festival returns in June with four shows: A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Tempest, Cymbeline and Equivocation (by Bill Cain)
· Theatre Under the Stars: Take in either Shrek and/or Legally Blonde The Musical at the Malkin Bowl in Stanley Park.
· Canada Day: The focal point for Canada’s birthday occurs at Canada Place - how fitting!
· Celebration of Light: The annual firework competition at English Bay, a mere ten minute walk from Times Square, where you can watch an amazing display with 300,000 friends
· Pride Parade: Times Square is right along the parade route!
Besides the events, summer is peak season for outdoor recreation. This recreation comes in a variety of intensities and mediums. Stanley Park offers the seawall and a variety of walking/biking trails:
You can try out stand up paddling or canoe/kayak around English Bay:
· Local rental company at Granville Island, Jericho Beach and (in the summer) at English Bay
Naturally, there are lots of patios in our neighbourhood if leisure is more your thing!
· The Boathouse: seafood & amazing patio across from English Bay Beach
· Cardero’s: A local favourite, right on the water
· The Teahouse: classic dining inside Stanley Park
· Raincity Grill: Specializing in the 100 mile menu - using ingredients sourced within a hundred miles of Vancouver
· Lift Bar & Grill: a classy restaurant right on the water
· Fish House: local Ocean Wise seafood in the park
One caveat: This year at Times Square is shaping up to be extremely busy. We have many dates that are already sold out or have few rooms left. So it’s a great time to suggest that you make your reservations soon to avoid disappointment!